Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:29 pm
D-backs and Dodgers engage in heated brawl
The benches cleared twice between the two bitter divisional rivals, and things got physical the second time around.
It all started when Ian Kennedy hit rookie phenom Yasiel Puig in the bottom of the sixth inning. The pitch appeared to graze Puig's nose, and he fell to the ground and was attended to by Dodgers trainers.
Zach Greinke retaliated in the top of the seventh when he hit Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero. The benches cleared, but no punches were thrown. Both benches were then warned.
In the bottom half of the inning Kennedy threw high at Greinke, causing the benches to clear again. Kennedy was thrown out of the game along with manager Kirk Gibson and coach Turner Ward. From the Dodgers Puig and hitting coach Mark McGwire were tossed.
At one point Gibson and McGwire were in each other's faces yelling at each other. D-backs coach Matt Williams also found himself in the middle of the ruckus with Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and then McGwire.
Then there is coach Turner Ward getting thrown into the railing.
And of course, Dodgers skipper Don Mattingly threw D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell to the ground.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.