Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:29 pm
D-backs and Dodgers engage in heated brawl
The benches cleared twice between the two bitter divisional rivals, and things got physical the second time around.
It all started when Ian Kennedy hit rookie phenom Yasiel Puig in the bottom of the sixth inning. The pitch appeared to graze Puig's nose, and he fell to the ground and was attended to by Dodgers trainers.
Zach Greinke retaliated in the top of the seventh when he hit Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero. The benches cleared, but no punches were thrown. Both benches were then warned.
In the bottom half of the inning Kennedy threw high at Greinke, causing the benches to clear again. Kennedy was thrown out of the game along with manager Kirk Gibson and coach Turner Ward. From the Dodgers Puig and hitting coach Mark McGwire were tossed.
At one point Gibson and McGwire were in each other's faces yelling at each other. D-backs coach Matt Williams also found himself in the middle of the ruckus with Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and then McGwire.
Then there is coach Turner Ward getting thrown into the railing.
And of course, Dodgers skipper Don Mattingly threw D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell to the ground.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.