Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:18 pm
D-backs GM Towers: We've got more to lose than the Dodgers
Batters got plunked, pitchers got upset, punches were thrown and people got ejected.
The GM's biggest worry, as he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday, is not so much about the feud continuing, but rather losing players to suspension.
"We've got more to lose than them," he said. "We're in first place, they're in last place right now."
Well, even with the Dodgers' 5-3 win Tuesday night, they are still just 28-35, which is 7.5 games back of the division leading D-backs at 36-29. So in a way, Towers has a point. Miniature in-game battles kind of pale in comparison to the war of trying to win the division, so losing anyone due to the kerfuffle -- either due to injury or suspension -- would be incredibly damaging.
And, when he looked at what happened, Towers said it seemed as if most of the punches were being thrown by people wearing blue and white uniforms.
"They had about 10 guys on the disabled list that aren't supposed to be out there that were all out there," he said. "It was a sea of blue and (coaches) Turner Ward and Don Baylor tried to hold their own in the middle of a mosh pit, but I'm sure that Joe Torre, Joe Garagiola and the commissioner's office will review it, and I'm sure there will be forthcoming suspensions on both sides.
"Hopefully they just look at it real closely and talk to the umpires and get it right."
The league said Wednesday that it is still investigating the incident and will hand out discipline Thursday.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.