Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:18 pm
D-backs GM Towers: We've got more to lose than the Dodgers
Batters got plunked, pitchers got upset, punches were thrown and people got ejected.
The GM's biggest worry, as he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday, is not so much about the feud continuing, but rather losing players to suspension.
"We've got more to lose than them," he said. "We're in first place, they're in last place right now."
Well, even with the Dodgers' 5-3 win Tuesday night, they are still just 28-35, which is 7.5 games back of the division leading D-backs at 36-29. So in a way, Towers has a point. Miniature in-game battles kind of pale in comparison to the war of trying to win the division, so losing anyone due to the kerfuffle -- either due to injury or suspension -- would be incredibly damaging.
And, when he looked at what happened, Towers said it seemed as if most of the punches were being thrown by people wearing blue and white uniforms.
"They had about 10 guys on the disabled list that aren't supposed to be out there that were all out there," he said. "It was a sea of blue and (coaches) Turner Ward and Don Baylor tried to hold their own in the middle of a mosh pit, but I'm sure that Joe Torre, Joe Garagiola and the commissioner's office will review it, and I'm sure there will be forthcoming suspensions on both sides.
"Hopefully they just look at it real closely and talk to the umpires and get it right."
The league said Wednesday that it is still investigating the incident and will hand out discipline Thursday.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?