Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:18 pm
D-backs GM Towers: We've got more to lose than the Dodgers
Batters got plunked, pitchers got upset, punches were thrown and people got ejected.
The GM's biggest worry, as he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday, is not so much about the feud continuing, but rather losing players to suspension.
"We've got more to lose than them," he said. "We're in first place, they're in last place right now."
Well, even with the Dodgers' 5-3 win Tuesday night, they are still just 28-35, which is 7.5 games back of the division leading D-backs at 36-29. So in a way, Towers has a point. Miniature in-game battles kind of pale in comparison to the war of trying to win the division, so losing anyone due to the kerfuffle -- either due to injury or suspension -- would be incredibly damaging.
And, when he looked at what happened, Towers said it seemed as if most of the punches were being thrown by people wearing blue and white uniforms.
"They had about 10 guys on the disabled list that aren't supposed to be out there that were all out there," he said. "It was a sea of blue and (coaches) Turner Ward and Don Baylor tried to hold their own in the middle of a mosh pit, but I'm sure that Joe Torre, Joe Garagiola and the commissioner's office will review it, and I'm sure there will be forthcoming suspensions on both sides.
"Hopefully they just look at it real closely and talk to the umpires and get it right."
The league said Wednesday that it is still investigating the incident and will hand out discipline Thursday.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.