Updated Jun 14, 2013 - 3:09 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks plan on appealing suspensions after brawl with Dodgers
Diamondbacks pitcher Ian Kennedy received the longest suspension -- 10 games -- of anyone, due to his role in the incident.
According to the league, Kennedy received the ban "for intentionally throwing a pitch in the head area of Zack Greinke of the Dodgers in the bottom of the seventh inning, after a warning had already been issued to both Clubs earlier in the game."
Infielder Eric Hinske received a five-game suspension, and skipper Kirk Gibson will be out one game. Catcher Miguel Montero and outfielder Gerardo Parra were also fined.
However, it appears the D-backs are not on board with the league's decision.
"I think we'll definitely have a formal appeal, and I would imagine Ian will do so through the union as well," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told News-Talk 92.3 KTAR's Rob and Karie Friday. "And I can definitely see Eric Hinskie doing it, because we were all surprised by the Hinske (suspension) for sure.
"And to be honest, there weren't as many on the other side that we expected to see as well, but it is what it is and there's a process to go through. The entire incident was pretty ugly so we knew there would be some consequences, but I thought it would be a little more level."
Until the appeal is heard and ruled on, none of the affected players will miss any time.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.