Updated Jun 15, 2013 - 7:51 am
Grit Index: D-backs' woeful night at the plate spoils Cahill's start
In the bottom of the six, with the Diamondbacks leading 1-0, the Padres loaded the bases off Cahill without getting a single ball out of the infield (hit by pitch, walk and infield single). With two outs and a 3-2 count on San Diego's Logan Forsythe, the Arizona right-hander left a sinkerball up in the zone that was sent right back up the box and into center field for a two-run, go-ahead single.
Two runs were more than enough for left-hander Eric Stults, who was masterful on the mound (allowed two hits over nine innings), as the Padres hung on for a 2-1 victory over the D-backs.
Mistake pitch aside, Cahill rebounded nicely Friday after two horrific starts in which he allowed a combined 13 runs on 18 hits.
His 10 strikeouts were the most he's recorded in a D-backs' uniform, and he compiled them in a variety of ways. Cahill's command of the fastball, sinkerball and curveball was as good as it's been all season.
Eric Stults came in with a 5-5 record and a 3.31 ERA, but the D-backs made the left-hander look like a Cy Young Award candidate.
All night, Arizona hitters were impatient at the plate, and after allowing a run in the first inning, Stults finished his night by retiring 25 of the last 27 batters he faced.
He Said It
"Right from the get go, he was pretty darn good. It was just the sixth that got him." -- Alan Trammell on Trevor Cahill
• Since 2012, Arizona is 10-15 overall against San Diego -- its worst record against any NL West foe in that span.
• Manager Kirk Gibson served his one-game suspension Friday. Gibson along with seven others were accessed suspensions for their roles in Tuesday's brawl at Dodger Stadium.
• Stults' complete game was the first of his seven-year career.
The Diamondbacks will continue their three-game series on Saturday with the San Diego Padres on Saturday at 7:10 p.m. MST. Left-hander Wade Miley (4-5, 4.89 ERA) will take the hill for D-backs. He'll be opposed by left-hander Clayton Richard (1-5, 8.06 ERA) for the Padres.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.