Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 8:03 am
Arizona Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero in best stretch of thorny season
Yet, through the first two months of the 2013 season, Montero's batting average was below .200. His on-base and slugging percentages sat below .300 and he had less than 10 extra-base hits and less than 20 runs batted in.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson slotted Montero into the eighth spot in the batting order on more than one occasion, somewhere he hadn't seen since early in the 2011 season.
"It feels great," Montero said on May 20, the night of his first multi-hit game in more than two weeks. "I can't remember the last time I got two hits. Actually (just) one hit."
Such was a reflection of Montero's season at the plate.
While the catcher, who is often regarded as the Diamondbacks' unofficial team captain, has prized intangibles -- leadership ability, pitch-calling and general baseball IQ -- his season was bound to be remembered by the offense it lacked.
Lately, however, Montero's production is trending upward.
The 29-year-old is hitting .300 in the month of June with a .368 OBP. His season batting average has climbed 24 points, to .222, since the end of May.
In his last eight games, Montero is hitting .366 (11-for-30) with five RBI and a .927 on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS).
A key middle-of-the-order fixture for the Diamondbacks, the importance of Montero's resurgence can't be understated.
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Mark Trumbo to Diamondbacks in 3-team trade
- Mark Trumbo looking forward to new opportunity with Arizona Diamondbacks
- In final year of Gibson, Towers' contracts, D-backs going all in
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.