Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 10:53 am
D-backs' bats silent during weekend sweep in San Diego
Unless, of course, you're a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
After taking two of three from the Dodgers in Los Angeles, the D-backs trekked down I-5 for a three-game series with the red-hot Padres. You could say things didn't go very well for the boys in Sedona Red, as they were handed just their second sweep of the season.
Arizona's bats were silent during the weekend, accounting for only six runs, a .181 batting average (17-for-94) and just three hits with runners in scoring position. And, if you take out Ian Kennedy's 2-for-2 game Sunday, Arizona hit just .163 as a team.
As you can see below, the D-backs' offensive woes against the Padres weren't limited to just a few players.
The Diamondbacks still lead the NL West by a half game over the Colorado Rockies heading into a three-game series against the Miami Marlins at Chase Field.
This could be a golden opportunity for the Arizona bats to awaken, as Miami brings the Major Leagues' worst record (21-47) with them and their collective ERA of 4.15 ranks 20th in baseball.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.