Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 7:03 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson addresses injury situation prior to Monday's game
Prior to Monday's game against Miami Marlins, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson addressed the injury situation and provided updates on Adam Eaton, Brandon McCarthy and J.J. Putz.
McCarthy, who is 2-4 with a 5.00 ERA this season, has been out of the rotation since June 1 because of right shoulder inflammation.
"I don't know we have an answer for why it happens," Gibson said in regards McCarthy's shoulder issues. "It happens and you try to calm it down.
"He's out there today and will throw a bullpen tomorrow."
Putz has been on the disabled list since May 8 with a strained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
Prior to his injury, Putz had a 4.26 ERA and had blown four blown saves. However, he has saved 82 games for the D-backs since coming to the Valley in 2011. According to Gibson, he's close to returning.
"He might have a live bullpen coming up soon," Gibson stated. "My guess is a live session and then get him into a game, but it hasn't been determined yet."
Prized prospect Adam Eaton hasn't played a game this season due to a left elbow strain he suffered in spring training, but the D-backs outfielder seems to be getting closer to returning after suffering a setback on May 22.
"He threw yesterday and feels fine," said Gibson. "So, we will probably start to stretch it out a bit.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first basemen - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.