Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 9:27 am
D-backs turn to Randall Delgado during Kennedy suspension
The supension -- the longest given to a pitcher since 2005 -- leaves manager Kirk Gibson no choice but to shuffle his pitching rotation with Kennedy not eligible to return until June 29 when the D-backs play the Braves in Atlanta.
"(Randall) Delgado will start on Tuesday, that's the start of it," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said after Monday's 3-2 loss to the Florida Marlins at Chase Field. "We'll have to wait and see where we're at and how our pitching is.
"We have to decide whether we're going to be short a position player or short a pitcher. Based upon how the games go, we'll determine what we do."
Delgado, acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade in January, has struggled at Triple-A Reno this season. The 23-year-old right-hander is just 2-5 with a 5.91 ERA in 13 starts for the Aces this season. In 64 innings of work, Delgado has walked 35 batters -- the fifth-most in the Pacific Coast League.
Delgado did work two innings in relief for the Diamondbacks June 3 in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals. He allowed four hits and two earned runs while striking out three.
Two of Delgado's five big league wins have come against the Marlins. On September 20, 2011, Delgado threw five innings of shutout baseball for the Braves in a 4-0 win over the Marlins. Last June 6, Delgado allowed just one run over 6.1 innings while striking out seven in a 2-1 win in Miami.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.