Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 9:27 am
D-backs turn to Randall Delgado during Kennedy suspension
The supension -- the longest given to a pitcher since 2005 -- leaves manager Kirk Gibson no choice but to shuffle his pitching rotation with Kennedy not eligible to return until June 29 when the D-backs play the Braves in Atlanta.
"(Randall) Delgado will start on Tuesday, that's the start of it," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said after Monday's 3-2 loss to the Florida Marlins at Chase Field. "We'll have to wait and see where we're at and how our pitching is.
"We have to decide whether we're going to be short a position player or short a pitcher. Based upon how the games go, we'll determine what we do."
Delgado, acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade in January, has struggled at Triple-A Reno this season. The 23-year-old right-hander is just 2-5 with a 5.91 ERA in 13 starts for the Aces this season. In 64 innings of work, Delgado has walked 35 batters -- the fifth-most in the Pacific Coast League.
Delgado did work two innings in relief for the Diamondbacks June 3 in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals. He allowed four hits and two earned runs while striking out three.
Two of Delgado's five big league wins have come against the Marlins. On September 20, 2011, Delgado threw five innings of shutout baseball for the Braves in a 4-0 win over the Marlins. Last June 6, Delgado allowed just one run over 6.1 innings while striking out seven in a 2-1 win in Miami.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.