Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 3:00 pm
Diamondbacks sign first-round pick Braden Shipley
According to Baseball America editor Jim Callis, the team wasted little time in bringing Shipley into the fold.
A 6-foot-3 converted shortstop, Shipley went 7-3 with a 2.77 ERA last season for the Wolfpack. He struck out 102 batters in 107.1 innings of work.
"We're looking for starting pitching and it is something you can never have enough of," said D-backs director of scouting Ray Montgomery the night Shipley was drafted. "Braden has three plus pitches and he's one of the best overall athletes in the draft. He's a great kid with a great family and a great pick for us at 15."
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.