Updated Jun 19, 2013 - 5:36 pm
D-backs GM: Don't expect Archie Bradley in the big leagues yet
Selected with the seventh-overall pick in the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft, the 20-year-old has risen through the team's farm system at a steady rate, compiling a 2.90 ERA over in 220.2 professional innings.
Currently with Double-A Mobile, the right-hander has a 1.50 ERA to go along with a 5-2 record. He's struck out 54 batters in 54 innings of work, while walking 26.
He's been good. Very good. And because of that, along with the emergence of top-flight young starters all around baseball, some are wondering if the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Bradley may not be long for the minor leagues.
"I think he still needs to make a few more starts down in Double-A," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He's coming along well, pitching well.
"I think the innings down there are good for him."
Towers admitted that when he sees someone like Miami's Jose Fernandez who, at 20, held the D-backs to just two runs on three hits Thursday, it is fun to think about a matchup with someone like he and Bradley.
But, even with the team's struggles in the rotation -- with both effectiveness and injuries -- Towers has no plans to rush his top prospect along.
"In due time," he said of when Bradley will get a call up. "I think the innings are good for him down there now, and I guess there's always a chance he could be here by the end of the year, but we like how things are going right now down in Mobile."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.