Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 9:32 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks introduce 34th-round pick Cory Hahn
Cory Hahn, a former Arizona State University outfielder who was paralyzed during his freshman year, visited Chase Field to meet members of the D-backs coaching staff and team before Friday night's game against the Cincinnati Reds.
"For what they've done, it's tremendous," Hahn said. "It just shows what kind of organization the Diamondback are."
Hahn was selected by the D-backs in the 34th round, 1,020th overall, of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft earlier this month.
"We've never been prouder on draft day, than we were in the 34th round when we selected this guy," D-backs president Derrick Hall.
Hahn was a former All-American out of Mater Dei High School in California before coming to ASU.
Hahn had high hopes and support for a career in baseball when a tragic accident ended that dream for good.
On Feb. 10, 2011, only three days into his college career, Hahn suffered a devastating spinal cord injury while sliding head-first into second base during a game against New Mexico.
The injury left him paralyzed from the chest down and shattered any chance of Hahn ever playing in major leagues, but it didn't stop him from being drafted to the major leagues.
After the injury Hahn remained an important part of the ASU baseball team, working as a student coach for the past two seasons.
It was because of his perseverance and dedication that the D-backs honored Hahn by selecting him in the 34th round, the same number he wore on his jersey during his short playing career at ASU.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.