Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 9:32 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks introduce 34th-round pick Cory Hahn
Cory Hahn, a former Arizona State University outfielder who was paralyzed during his freshman year, visited Chase Field to meet members of the D-backs coaching staff and team before Friday night's game against the Cincinnati Reds.
"For what they've done, it's tremendous," Hahn said. "It just shows what kind of organization the Diamondback are."
Hahn was selected by the D-backs in the 34th round, 1,020th overall, of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft earlier this month.
"We've never been prouder on draft day, than we were in the 34th round when we selected this guy," D-backs president Derrick Hall.
Hahn was a former All-American out of Mater Dei High School in California before coming to ASU.
Hahn had high hopes and support for a career in baseball when a tragic accident ended that dream for good.
On Feb. 10, 2011, only three days into his college career, Hahn suffered a devastating spinal cord injury while sliding head-first into second base during a game against New Mexico.
The injury left him paralyzed from the chest down and shattered any chance of Hahn ever playing in major leagues, but it didn't stop him from being drafted to the major leagues.
After the injury Hahn remained an important part of the ASU baseball team, working as a student coach for the past two seasons.
It was because of his perseverance and dedication that the D-backs honored Hahn by selecting him in the 34th round, the same number he wore on his jersey during his short playing career at ASU.
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?