Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 9:32 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks introduce 34th-round pick Cory Hahn
Cory Hahn, a former Arizona State University outfielder who was paralyzed during his freshman year, visited Chase Field to meet members of the D-backs coaching staff and team before Friday night's game against the Cincinnati Reds.
"For what they've done, it's tremendous," Hahn said. "It just shows what kind of organization the Diamondback are."
Hahn was selected by the D-backs in the 34th round, 1,020th overall, of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft earlier this month.
"We've never been prouder on draft day, than we were in the 34th round when we selected this guy," D-backs president Derrick Hall.
Hahn was a former All-American out of Mater Dei High School in California before coming to ASU.
Hahn had high hopes and support for a career in baseball when a tragic accident ended that dream for good.
On Feb. 10, 2011, only three days into his college career, Hahn suffered a devastating spinal cord injury while sliding head-first into second base during a game against New Mexico.
The injury left him paralyzed from the chest down and shattered any chance of Hahn ever playing in major leagues, but it didn't stop him from being drafted to the major leagues.
After the injury Hahn remained an important part of the ASU baseball team, working as a student coach for the past two seasons.
It was because of his perseverance and dedication that the D-backs honored Hahn by selecting him in the 34th round, the same number he wore on his jersey during his short playing career at ASU.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.