Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 11:10 pm
Grit Index: Goldschmidt's multi-homer night sparks D-backs' victory over Reds
The Diamondbacks (should be All-Star) first baseman went 3-for-4 with two home runs and three RBI in an 11-5 series-opening victory against the Cincinnati Reds in front of 27,819 at Chase Field Friday.
The first home run, No. 18, broke a 3-3 tie and highlighted a four-run fifth inning. The second home run, No. 19, opened the scoring on another four-run frame, this time in the sixth.
For Goldschmidt, who hit 20 home runs all of last season, it marked his third career multi-homer game.
He leads the National League with 65 RBI.
All of the offense -- the 11 runs were season-high at home, enabled starter Wade Miley to escape with a no decision despite not finishing the fifth. He allowed three runs on five hits, including a solo home run to Jay Bruce, in 4 2/3 innings, his shortest outing since going 3 2/3 innings against San Diego on May 25.
The win was the third straight for the D-backs, who lead the NL West by 2.5 games.
Jason Kubel went 4-for-5, tying his career-high for hits in a game for the seventh time.
Willie Bloomquist snapped an 11 at-bat hitless drought with a two-out, two-run single in the second.
Miley issued four free passes, marking the fifth time in 15 starts he's walked three or more batters in a game. Command has been an issue for the left-hander, who has now walked 31 in 88 innings pitched compared to 37 in 194.2 innings pitched last season.
Cody Ross struck out three times, all looking as he went 0-for-4 with a walk and run scored.
Diamondbacks starting pitchers are winless in the last 14 games.
Stat(s) of the Game:
12: Number of go-ahead home runs for Goldschmidt this season
5: Number of career lead-off home runs for Gerardo Parra, and they have all come this season
• Zeke Spruill made his Major League debut, pitching a scoreless sixth inning.
• J.J. Putz, making his second appearance on a rehab assignment with Triple-A Reno, allowed a lead-off walk before striking out the side in his one inning of work.
He Said It:
"I don't think we've ever beat him," manager Kirk Gibson said of Reds starter Johnny Cueto who entered the game 5-0 in six career starts against Arizona. "We had a good approach on him. He didn't have probably the command that he would like. We got some guys on, got some pressure. We were 4-for-8 with runners in scoring position throughout the whole game, so we got some key hits."
Patrick Corbin will make his fourth attempt at win No. 10, trying to become the fifth 10-game winner in the Majors and the first D-backs pitcher to start 10-0 in club history. This will be Corbin's (9-0, 2.28 ERA) second career start against the Reds, who counter with former ASU Sun Devil Mike Leake in the second game of the three-game weekend series. Leake (7-3, 2.64 ERA) is 5-1 with a 1.15 ERA (6 ER, 47 IP) in his last seven starts.
First pitch is scheduled for 4:15 with pregame coverage beginning at 3:45 on Arizona Sports 620.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.