Updated Jun 24, 2013 - 6:40 am
D-backs second baseman Aaron Hill rejoining team for road trip
After Sunday's 4-2 loss to the Cincinnati Reds, manager Kirk Gibson announced that second baseman Aaron Hill will be activated from the disabled list -- a place he's been since April 16 after breaking his left hand -- and rejoin the team in time for their 10-game road swing against the NL East.
"It's been a long time," Hill said. "The guys have been doing a great, but it's been tough seeing how much fun they've been having. "It'll be fun to get back with the guys and go on a roll here."
The former All-Star spent the better part of the last week rehabbing with Triple-A Reno. In six games, Hill went 6-for-24 with eight runs scored, six RBI, a double and a triple.
In Hill's absence, the D-backs have gone 33-29 and moved from third to first place in the National West, doing so largely with a platoon of players at second base (Cliff Pennington, Willie Bloomquist, Josh Wilson and Martin Prado).
"A lot of guys have been going down, but these guys are playing great," said Hill. "Like I said, it's tough to watch all of these walk-off hits. I shouldn't say tough to watch, it's been fun to watch but tough not being a part of it.
"These guys have been doing great, pitching, bullpen, everybody. So it'll be interesting to see what we do when everybody comes back."
With Hill (.306, two home runs and six RBI) back on the 25-man roster, the D-backs have optioned left-handed reliever Joe Patterson to Triple-A Reno.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.