Renovations complete at Pearl S. Buck home in Pa.
PERKASIE, Pa. (AP) - An 8-year, $2.8 million renovation project is now complete at the Pearl S. Buck House in a Philadelphia suburb.
The Intelligencer of Doylestown reports ( http://bit.ly/11UQ74e) that Pearl S. Buck International is holding a grand reopening event Wednesday. It will celebrate the completion of the renovations and what would have been the 121st birthday of Buck, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of "The Good Earth."
The renovations included repairing water-damaged plaster, wood trim and cabinetry, and upgrading systems at the home.
Buck raised seven adopted children and wrote many later works at her farm in suburban Bucks County, where she's buried and where her namesake nonprofit is based.
A spokeswoman for the nonprofit, Pam Carroll, says most of the money for the renovations was raised through donors.
Information from: The Intelligencer, http://www.phillyburbs.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.