Renovations complete at Pearl S. Buck home in Pa.
PERKASIE, Pa. (AP) - An 8-year, $2.8 million renovation project is now complete at the Pearl S. Buck House in a Philadelphia suburb.
The Intelligencer of Doylestown reports ( http://bit.ly/11UQ74e) that Pearl S. Buck International is holding a grand reopening event Wednesday. It will celebrate the completion of the renovations and what would have been the 121st birthday of Buck, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of "The Good Earth."
The renovations included repairing water-damaged plaster, wood trim and cabinetry, and upgrading systems at the home.
Buck raised seven adopted children and wrote many later works at her farm in suburban Bucks County, where she's buried and where her namesake nonprofit is based.
A spokeswoman for the nonprofit, Pam Carroll, says most of the money for the renovations was raised through donors.
Information from: The Intelligencer, http://www.phillyburbs.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.