Renovations complete at Pearl S. Buck home in Pa.
PERKASIE, Pa. (AP) - An 8-year, $2.8 million renovation project is now complete at the Pearl S. Buck House in a Philadelphia suburb.
The Intelligencer of Doylestown reports ( http://bit.ly/11UQ74e) that Pearl S. Buck International is holding a grand reopening event Wednesday. It will celebrate the completion of the renovations and what would have been the 121st birthday of Buck, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of "The Good Earth."
The renovations included repairing water-damaged plaster, wood trim and cabinetry, and upgrading systems at the home.
Buck raised seven adopted children and wrote many later works at her farm in suburban Bucks County, where she's buried and where her namesake nonprofit is based.
A spokeswoman for the nonprofit, Pam Carroll, says most of the money for the renovations was raised through donors.
Information from: The Intelligencer, http://www.phillyburbs.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.