ESPN's Law: Corbin projects as a No. 2 starter
That was the overall opinion of ESPN MLB analyst Keith Law when assessing Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Patrick Corbin.
"I think he can be a good No. 2 pitcher and that is what I am buying," Law told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Monday.
Corbin started the season as the No. 5 pitcher in the D-backs rotation after having to beat out Tyler Skaggs and Randall Delgado in spring training for that spot.
"I was never a huge Corbin fan and I violated one of my core beliefs," Law said. "Always bet on good athletes and he is a good athlete."
Last season, Corbin went 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA and 86 strikeouts. He appeared in 22 games and started 17.
The improvements from last season to this season for Corbin have been drastic.
Corbin is a perfect 9-0 this season with a 2.19 ERA and already has 79 strikeouts in 15 games. The team is 14-1 in games that he has started.
"The velocity he has shown only in relief work is now being shown in the rotation," Law stated. "His athleticism has allowed him to add velocity and that is because of his quicker arm."
You would be hard-pressed to find a pitcher who has been as valuable as Corbin has been to a team's rotation in the first half of the MLB season.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.