ESPN's Law: Corbin projects as a No. 2 starter
That was the overall opinion of ESPN MLB analyst Keith Law when assessing Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Patrick Corbin.
"I think he can be a good No. 2 pitcher and that is what I am buying," Law told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Monday.
Corbin started the season as the No. 5 pitcher in the D-backs rotation after having to beat out Tyler Skaggs and Randall Delgado in spring training for that spot.
"I was never a huge Corbin fan and I violated one of my core beliefs," Law said. "Always bet on good athletes and he is a good athlete."
Last season, Corbin went 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA and 86 strikeouts. He appeared in 22 games and started 17.
The improvements from last season to this season for Corbin have been drastic.
Corbin is a perfect 9-0 this season with a 2.19 ERA and already has 79 strikeouts in 15 games. The team is 14-1 in games that he has started.
"The velocity he has shown only in relief work is now being shown in the rotation," Law stated. "His athleticism has allowed him to add velocity and that is because of his quicker arm."
You would be hard-pressed to find a pitcher who has been as valuable as Corbin has been to a team's rotation in the first half of the MLB season.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.