Updated Jun 29, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs' franchise-record shutout streak comes to an end
It was unique, in that for the first time in 79 games, the D-backs were held off the scoreboard -- the longest streak in franchise history to begin a year.
Before Friday night's streak-busting loss, the D-backs were the lone MLB team not to be blanked this season. In fact, every other club has been shut out at least three times in 2013.
When asked if it was meaningful that the D-backs were the last team to be shut out, manager Kirk Gibson was rather blunt.
"Not really," Gibson said. "It's characteristic of the way we play, but beyond that we lost tonight, whether we need zero runs or four. It didn't work."
It might not have worked Friday night against Julio Teheran (six scoreless innings of work) and the Braves at Turner Field, but the D-backs found a way for the better part of the first half of 2013 to keep the streak alive.
Arizona has scored exactly one run in 13 games this season and 10 different times needed runs in the eighth or ninth inning to avoid being shut out.
"It's going to happen, it's baseball," said Gibson of the streak finally ending. "It's not odd at all [we weren't able to chip away]. It's probably odder we've scored in all of these games."
Before Friday night's 3-0 loss, the D-backs hadn't been blanked since September 26, 2012 against the San Francisco Giants.
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.