Updated Jun 29, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs' franchise-record shutout streak comes to an end
It was unique, in that for the first time in 79 games, the D-backs were held off the scoreboard -- the longest streak in franchise history to begin a year.
Before Friday night's streak-busting loss, the D-backs were the lone MLB team not to be blanked this season. In fact, every other club has been shut out at least three times in 2013.
When asked if it was meaningful that the D-backs were the last team to be shut out, manager Kirk Gibson was rather blunt.
"Not really," Gibson said. "It's characteristic of the way we play, but beyond that we lost tonight, whether we need zero runs or four. It didn't work."
It might not have worked Friday night against Julio Teheran (six scoreless innings of work) and the Braves at Turner Field, but the D-backs found a way for the better part of the first half of 2013 to keep the streak alive.
Arizona has scored exactly one run in 13 games this season and 10 different times needed runs in the eighth or ninth inning to avoid being shut out.
"It's going to happen, it's baseball," said Gibson of the streak finally ending. "It's not odd at all [we weren't able to chip away]. It's probably odder we've scored in all of these games."
Before Friday night's 3-0 loss, the D-backs hadn't been blanked since September 26, 2012 against the San Francisco Giants.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.