Updated Jun 29, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs' franchise-record shutout streak comes to an end
It was unique, in that for the first time in 79 games, the D-backs were held off the scoreboard -- the longest streak in franchise history to begin a year.
Before Friday night's streak-busting loss, the D-backs were the lone MLB team not to be blanked this season. In fact, every other club has been shut out at least three times in 2013.
When asked if it was meaningful that the D-backs were the last team to be shut out, manager Kirk Gibson was rather blunt.
"Not really," Gibson said. "It's characteristic of the way we play, but beyond that we lost tonight, whether we need zero runs or four. It didn't work."
It might not have worked Friday night against Julio Teheran (six scoreless innings of work) and the Braves at Turner Field, but the D-backs found a way for the better part of the first half of 2013 to keep the streak alive.
Arizona has scored exactly one run in 13 games this season and 10 different times needed runs in the eighth or ninth inning to avoid being shut out.
"It's going to happen, it's baseball," said Gibson of the streak finally ending. "It's not odd at all [we weren't able to chip away]. It's probably odder we've scored in all of these games."
Before Friday night's 3-0 loss, the D-backs hadn't been blanked since September 26, 2012 against the San Francisco Giants.
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.