Updated Jun 29, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs' franchise-record shutout streak comes to an end
It was unique, in that for the first time in 79 games, the D-backs were held off the scoreboard -- the longest streak in franchise history to begin a year.
Before Friday night's streak-busting loss, the D-backs were the lone MLB team not to be blanked this season. In fact, every other club has been shut out at least three times in 2013.
When asked if it was meaningful that the D-backs were the last team to be shut out, manager Kirk Gibson was rather blunt.
"Not really," Gibson said. "It's characteristic of the way we play, but beyond that we lost tonight, whether we need zero runs or four. It didn't work."
It might not have worked Friday night against Julio Teheran (six scoreless innings of work) and the Braves at Turner Field, but the D-backs found a way for the better part of the first half of 2013 to keep the streak alive.
Arizona has scored exactly one run in 13 games this season and 10 different times needed runs in the eighth or ninth inning to avoid being shut out.
"It's going to happen, it's baseball," said Gibson of the streak finally ending. "It's not odd at all [we weren't able to chip away]. It's probably odder we've scored in all of these games."
Before Friday night's 3-0 loss, the D-backs hadn't been blanked since September 26, 2012 against the San Francisco Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.