Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:01 am
D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill not getting it done on the mound
But for D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill, it was especially ugly.
Cahill entered the month 3-5 with 2.88 ERA and had pitched in 29 consecutive outings without giving up more than four runs.
That streak quickly came to an end when he surrendered five runs in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals June 3, but things would only get worse.
For the month, Cahill went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He gave up five or more runs on four separate occasions -- including a season-high eight June 8 against the San Francisco Giants -- left a start early due to injury and finished with a no-decision during his one positive start (10 strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings of work) of the month on June 14 against the San Diego Padres.
"I don't know what to say," Cahill said after Sunday's game, in which he up six runs to the Atlanta Braves in 4 2/3 innings. "It's embarrassing. We're a team that's in first place, and I want to do my part to contribute. It's just not working out."
Cahill, who is second in the National League with 10 losses, has not won since May 17 and when he's started in 2013 the D-backs are 6-11.
Before June 2013, the 25-year-old had also never lost more than four games in a given month.
"I know he's frustrated, I know he's trying," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Sunday. "He's not throwing the ball real well with the stuff that he has, but as I stated earlier that's all part of it. It's disappointing. But we have to go pick ourselves up and beat the Mets."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?