Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:01 am
D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill not getting it done on the mound
But for D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill, it was especially ugly.
Cahill entered the month 3-5 with 2.88 ERA and had pitched in 29 consecutive outings without giving up more than four runs.
That streak quickly came to an end when he surrendered five runs in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals June 3, but things would only get worse.
For the month, Cahill went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He gave up five or more runs on four separate occasions -- including a season-high eight June 8 against the San Francisco Giants -- left a start early due to injury and finished with a no-decision during his one positive start (10 strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings of work) of the month on June 14 against the San Diego Padres.
"I don't know what to say," Cahill said after Sunday's game, in which he up six runs to the Atlanta Braves in 4 2/3 innings. "It's embarrassing. We're a team that's in first place, and I want to do my part to contribute. It's just not working out."
Cahill, who is second in the National League with 10 losses, has not won since May 17 and when he's started in 2013 the D-backs are 6-11.
Before June 2013, the 25-year-old had also never lost more than four games in a given month.
"I know he's frustrated, I know he's trying," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Sunday. "He's not throwing the ball real well with the stuff that he has, but as I stated earlier that's all part of it. It's disappointing. But we have to go pick ourselves up and beat the Mets."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.