Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs analyst: Trade would help but team can win division as-is
On one hand, they are setting the pace in the NL West and are doing so without the services of many key players, some of whom have returned to the club in recent days.
On the other hand, the team went 12-15 in the month of June, hitting .256 while failing to have a starting pitcher record a win since June 5.
So with the trade deadline a month away, do the D-backs need to be looking at making a deal or two, specifically for starting pitching help?
"I would think so," D-backs television analyst Bob Brenly told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday. "But at the same token, I wouldn't mortgage the future to bring in a rent-a-player or anything like that."
Brenly, who as manager guided the D-backs to a World Series championship in 2001, said the team already has a good nucleus and farm system in place so there is no reason to blow things up out of any kind of desperation.
Besides, he noted, anyone who is looking to part with talent will do so from a position of strength.
"The Diamondbacks aren't the only team that's going to be looking for help at the deadline, especially pitching help, so I don't know how much wheeling and dealing (General Manager) Kevin Towers is going to be able to do."
And, ultimately, the D-backs may not need to add much to win the NL West, as according to Brenly the division will be theirs if they can play to their potential.
"I honestly believe if they take care of their own business here and play the kind of baseball they're supposed to, that's going to be good enough to win this division," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.