Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:52 pm
Diamondbacks, MLB honor fallen Yarnell Hill firefighters
PHOENIX - All baseball teams playing Monday observed a moment of silence to honor the 19 fallen firefighters who died near Prescott, Arizona.
The Arizona Diamondbacks sent their condolences to the families and loved ones of the 19 brave firefighters who died while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire, which has consumed over 8,300 acres and destroyed about 200 homes so far.
The D-backs also wore black arm bands on the right sleeve of their jerseys Monday and will sport a memorial patch on their uniforms for the rest of the season.
In addition, a jersey bearing the No. 19 and the name "Yarnell" will hang in each dugout during the D-backs-Mets series.
Upon returning home to Phoenix, the Diamondbacks will wear black jerseys with "Arizona" across the front and a white patch bearing No. 19 during their upcoming series with the Colorado Rockies at Chase Field.
Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall said the team would be auctioning off game-worn jerseys from the Rockies series.
A procession for the 19 firefighters who died in the wildfire took place with the bodies of the fallen heroes being transported to Phoenix in white vans.
KTAR's Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.