Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:52 pm
Diamondbacks, MLB honor fallen Yarnell Hill firefighters
PHOENIX - All baseball teams playing Monday observed a moment of silence to honor the 19 fallen firefighters who died near Prescott, Arizona.
The Arizona Diamondbacks sent their condolences to the families and loved ones of the 19 brave firefighters who died while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire, which has consumed over 8,300 acres and destroyed about 200 homes so far.
The D-backs also wore black arm bands on the right sleeve of their jerseys Monday and will sport a memorial patch on their uniforms for the rest of the season.
In addition, a jersey bearing the No. 19 and the name "Yarnell" will hang in each dugout during the D-backs-Mets series.
Upon returning home to Phoenix, the Diamondbacks will wear black jerseys with "Arizona" across the front and a white patch bearing No. 19 during their upcoming series with the Colorado Rockies at Chase Field.
Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall said the team would be auctioning off game-worn jerseys from the Rockies series.
A procession for the 19 firefighters who died in the wildfire took place with the bodies of the fallen heroes being transported to Phoenix in white vans.
KTAR's Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.