Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:52 pm
Diamondbacks, MLB honor fallen Yarnell Hill firefighters
PHOENIX - All baseball teams playing Monday observed a moment of silence to honor the 19 fallen firefighters who died near Prescott, Arizona.
The Arizona Diamondbacks sent their condolences to the families and loved ones of the 19 brave firefighters who died while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire, which has consumed over 8,300 acres and destroyed about 200 homes so far.
The D-backs also wore black arm bands on the right sleeve of their jerseys Monday and will sport a memorial patch on their uniforms for the rest of the season.
In addition, a jersey bearing the No. 19 and the name "Yarnell" will hang in each dugout during the D-backs-Mets series.
Upon returning home to Phoenix, the Diamondbacks will wear black jerseys with "Arizona" across the front and a white patch bearing No. 19 during their upcoming series with the Colorado Rockies at Chase Field.
Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall said the team would be auctioning off game-worn jerseys from the Rockies series.
A procession for the 19 firefighters who died in the wildfire took place with the bodies of the fallen heroes being transported to Phoenix in white vans.
KTAR's Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.