Updated Jul 3, 2013 - 12:34 am
Gibson: Heath Bell would have closed Tuesday; J.J. Putz's role to change
Mix in the fact that the D-backs went on to lose the game 5-4 in 13 innings and are currently mired in a four-game losing streak, and change was probably inevitable.
"We'll move Heath Bell to the back end of the bullpen right now," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "We'll try to find J.J. some innings elsewhere where he can throw and get his arm freshened up.
"He'll do a lot more long tossing and stuff and try to get it built up and see if he can't find more of the velocity he had earlier in the year."
Monday marked Putz's second appearance since coming off the disabled list. He pitched one-third of an inning in an 11-5 loss to the Atlanta Braves last Saturday before surrendering the tying run against the Mets.
"I talked to J.J. -- he came in and talked to us -- he feels what we see, there's not a lot coming out of his arm right now," Gibson said. "His velocity is way down, his fastball command isn't great, maybe he's feeling a little dead arm right now.
"So, we're going to kind of change his role right now."
According to Brooksbaseball.com, Putz threw 10 fastballs against the Mets which averaged 91.27 mph.
Gibson stopped short of anointing Bell as the regular closer moving forward.
"He's going to close (Tuesday)," he said. "Our bullpen is pretty ragged right now -- guys are throwing a lot -- so it may be by committee somewhat until we get guys freshened up."
The Diamondbacks fell to the Mets by a score of 9-1, so Bell did not get a save opportunity Tuesday night.
However, Gibson added, if everyone is healthy he could see Bell assuming the role on a more permanent basis.
"He's had some tough games but he's got the mentality, he understands the situations, he has confidence in himself, he recovers quickly if things go bad," the skipper said. "I think, overall, he's probably more the guy."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.