Updated Jul 3, 2013 - 12:34 am
Gibson: Heath Bell would have closed Tuesday; J.J. Putz's role to change
Mix in the fact that the D-backs went on to lose the game 5-4 in 13 innings and are currently mired in a four-game losing streak, and change was probably inevitable.
"We'll move Heath Bell to the back end of the bullpen right now," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "We'll try to find J.J. some innings elsewhere where he can throw and get his arm freshened up.
"He'll do a lot more long tossing and stuff and try to get it built up and see if he can't find more of the velocity he had earlier in the year."
Monday marked Putz's second appearance since coming off the disabled list. He pitched one-third of an inning in an 11-5 loss to the Atlanta Braves last Saturday before surrendering the tying run against the Mets.
"I talked to J.J. -- he came in and talked to us -- he feels what we see, there's not a lot coming out of his arm right now," Gibson said. "His velocity is way down, his fastball command isn't great, maybe he's feeling a little dead arm right now.
"So, we're going to kind of change his role right now."
According to Brooksbaseball.com, Putz threw 10 fastballs against the Mets which averaged 91.27 mph.
Gibson stopped short of anointing Bell as the regular closer moving forward.
"He's going to close (Tuesday)," he said. "Our bullpen is pretty ragged right now -- guys are throwing a lot -- so it may be by committee somewhat until we get guys freshened up."
The Diamondbacks fell to the Mets by a score of 9-1, so Bell did not get a save opportunity Tuesday night.
However, Gibson added, if everyone is healthy he could see Bell assuming the role on a more permanent basis.
"He's had some tough games but he's got the mentality, he understands the situations, he has confidence in himself, he recovers quickly if things go bad," the skipper said. "I think, overall, he's probably more the guy."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.