Updated Jul 3, 2013 - 3:10 am
D-backs Derrick Hall: We are the Arizona Diamondbacks, not the Phoenix Diamondbacks
The team will wear black jerseys with the name "Arizona" on the front during their weekend home stand against the Colorado Rockies. Normally their home dudes say "Diamondbacks."
Those jerseys will be auctioned off and the money will go toward charities including the 100 Club of Arizona, the American Red Cross and others that benefit the families of those that died in the fire.
"We are the Arizona Diamondbacks, not the Phoenix Diamondbacks," said Arizona Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall.
Hall said the team is in a very unique position with the opportunity to represent the state and to help when they are needed.
"We have a very large stage to be able to do that this time of year and to take their minds off of this tragedy with baseball," Hall said, "but more importantly to be able to contribute to them our support both financially as well as emotionally."
Hall also expressed his gratitude toward the New York Mets, who along with the Diamondbacks hung a jersey with the name "Yarnell" and the number 19 in their dugout for Monday's game.
"It was a nice show of support on the Mets side to also hang a jersey, and I thought it showed a lot of solidarity there with the home team in New York showing that they obviously have concern, care and compassion for what took place here in Arizona," Hall said.
D-backs players will also wear patches with the number 19 on the front of their jerseys, and Hall said the team is working with the MLB to let the team wear the patches for the rest of the year.
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.