Updated Jul 3, 2013 - 3:10 am
D-backs Derrick Hall: We are the Arizona Diamondbacks, not the Phoenix Diamondbacks
The team will wear black jerseys with the name "Arizona" on the front during their weekend home stand against the Colorado Rockies. Normally their home dudes say "Diamondbacks."
Those jerseys will be auctioned off and the money will go toward charities including the 100 Club of Arizona, the American Red Cross and others that benefit the families of those that died in the fire.
"We are the Arizona Diamondbacks, not the Phoenix Diamondbacks," said Arizona Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall.
Hall said the team is in a very unique position with the opportunity to represent the state and to help when they are needed.
"We have a very large stage to be able to do that this time of year and to take their minds off of this tragedy with baseball," Hall said, "but more importantly to be able to contribute to them our support both financially as well as emotionally."
Hall also expressed his gratitude toward the New York Mets, who along with the Diamondbacks hung a jersey with the name "Yarnell" and the number 19 in their dugout for Monday's game.
"It was a nice show of support on the Mets side to also hang a jersey, and I thought it showed a lot of solidarity there with the home team in New York showing that they obviously have concern, care and compassion for what took place here in Arizona," Hall said.
D-backs players will also wear patches with the number 19 on the front of their jerseys, and Hall said the team is working with the MLB to let the team wear the patches for the rest of the year.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.