Obama to award arts, humanities medals to 2 dozen
WASHINGTON (AP) - Musician Herb Alpert, sportswriter Frank Deford and filmmaker George Lucas are among 23 people and an organization chosen to receive national medals for their contributions in the fields of the arts and humanities.
President Barack Obama will award the medals next Wednesday during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House.
Playwright Tony Kushner, musician Renee Fleming and the Washington Performing Arts Society have also been selected to receive a National Medal of Arts.
Other recipients of the National Humanities Medal include author Joan Didion and actress Anna Deavere Smith, along with Kay Ryan, a former poet laureate of the U.S., and Robert B. Silvers, editor and co-founder of The New York Review of Books.
A total of 23 individuals and one organization will be recognized.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.