'Dark Knight Returns' No. 2 cover sells for $478K
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Heritage Auctions says the original pen and ink cover of "The Dark Knight Returns" No. 2 drawn by artist and writer Frank Miller has sold for $478,000 at auction.
A near-mint copy of "Batman" No. 1 has also sold for $567,625 at the auction. The auction house said Friday that the buyers did not want their names disclosed.
Miller's cover was the first to be sold from DC Comics' 1986 four-issue "Dark Knight" miniseries.
The copy of "Batman" No. 1 from 1940 shows Batman and Robin swinging in front of a Gotham City skyline. It was auctioned on behalf of Tadano America Corp.
The record price for a comic book remains "Action Comics" No. 1, selling for $2.16 million in 2011. It featured Superman's first appearance.
Heritage Auctions: http://www.ha.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.