Diamondbacks honor Yarnell fire victims with uniforms, hats
On Friday night, the D-backs wore "Prescott Fire Dept." hats and symbolic No. 19 patches on their uniforms.
The hats were worn prior to the game and during the singing of the National Anthem, but not during the game, as Major League Baseball officially denied the Diamondbacks' petition to do so.
Rockies players and coaches also wore the hats during batting practice and the National Anthem.
In a moving tribute before the first pitch, a firefighters' bagpipe band played "Amazing Grace" as photos flashed on the giant video screen of the 19 "hotshot" firefighters killed fighting the Yarnell Hill wildfire northwest of Phoenix.
That was followed by a 19-second period of silence from the sellout crowd at Chase Field.
"We do it as a tribute to the families and the people who gave their lives fighting that fire," manager Kirk Gibson said Friday. "We were out on the road and it was tough for us, but when we heard (the news of the Yarnell fire), that was the worst feeling we had."
In addition to the uniform add-ons, a No. 19 will be painted on the grass behind home plate to honor the lives of the 19 fallen firefighters. The same No. 19 is also on each player's clubhouse name plate.
"Those guys are our heroes," infielder Cliff Pennington said.
Earlier Friday, the Diamondbacks pledged to give a second matching donation of $100,000 to victims of the wildfire. Their first such donation came on Thursday, when fans' contributions exceeded $100,000.
Those interested in donating to fire victims through the Diamondbacks can do so by visiting dbacks.com
Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.