Diamondbacks honor Yarnell fire victims with uniforms, hats
On Friday night, the D-backs wore "Prescott Fire Dept." hats and symbolic No. 19 patches on their uniforms.
The hats were worn prior to the game and during the singing of the National Anthem, but not during the game, as Major League Baseball officially denied the Diamondbacks' petition to do so.
Rockies players and coaches also wore the hats during batting practice and the National Anthem.
In a moving tribute before the first pitch, a firefighters' bagpipe band played "Amazing Grace" as photos flashed on the giant video screen of the 19 "hotshot" firefighters killed fighting the Yarnell Hill wildfire northwest of Phoenix.
That was followed by a 19-second period of silence from the sellout crowd at Chase Field.
"We do it as a tribute to the families and the people who gave their lives fighting that fire," manager Kirk Gibson said Friday. "We were out on the road and it was tough for us, but when we heard (the news of the Yarnell fire), that was the worst feeling we had."
In addition to the uniform add-ons, a No. 19 will be painted on the grass behind home plate to honor the lives of the 19 fallen firefighters. The same No. 19 is also on each player's clubhouse name plate.
"Those guys are our heroes," infielder Cliff Pennington said.
Earlier Friday, the Diamondbacks pledged to give a second matching donation of $100,000 to victims of the wildfire. Their first such donation came on Thursday, when fans' contributions exceeded $100,000.
Those interested in donating to fire victims through the Diamondbacks can do so by visiting dbacks.com
Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.