Updated Jul 6, 2013 - 9:44 pm
D-backs' Goldschmidt, Corbin named to 2013 NL All-Star team
The Arizona Diamondbacks will have two representatives at the 84th Midsummer Classic on July 16 at Citi Field in New York.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt was selected as a reserve, earning his first All-Star selection. Goldschmidt is in the midst of a breakout season, in which he has hit .305 with 21 HRs and a league-high 73 RBIs.
Goldschmidt couldn't beat out Cincinnati Reds' first baseman Joey Votto for the start. The D-backs haven't had a position player start in an All-Star Game since Luis Gonzalez in 2001.
Left-hander Patrick Corbin will join the NL pitching staff in his first All-Star selection, after compiling a 9-1 record with a 2.49 ERA and 89 strikeouts in 115.2 IP this season.
Corbin ranks fifth in the NL in wins this season, but could have an even better record to show for his efforts. The 23-year-old has posted a 2.36 ERA in seven no-decisions for the D-backs this year. He has also pitched at least seven innings, giving up two runs or less, in six of those games.
Both Goldschmidt and Corbin were selected in the players' voting.
D-backs' outfielder Gerardo Parra, who was thought to get consideration for an All-Star spot, was not chosen or placed on the five-player MLB.com final vote ballot. Parra is batting .297 with seven homers and 26 RBI in 83 games this year.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.