Updated Jul 6, 2013 - 9:44 pm
D-backs' Goldschmidt, Corbin named to 2013 NL All-Star team
The Arizona Diamondbacks will have two representatives at the 84th Midsummer Classic on July 16 at Citi Field in New York.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt was selected as a reserve, earning his first All-Star selection. Goldschmidt is in the midst of a breakout season, in which he has hit .305 with 21 HRs and a league-high 73 RBIs.
Goldschmidt couldn't beat out Cincinnati Reds' first baseman Joey Votto for the start. The D-backs haven't had a position player start in an All-Star Game since Luis Gonzalez in 2001.
Left-hander Patrick Corbin will join the NL pitching staff in his first All-Star selection, after compiling a 9-1 record with a 2.49 ERA and 89 strikeouts in 115.2 IP this season.
Corbin ranks fifth in the NL in wins this season, but could have an even better record to show for his efforts. The 23-year-old has posted a 2.36 ERA in seven no-decisions for the D-backs this year. He has also pitched at least seven innings, giving up two runs or less, in six of those games.
Both Goldschmidt and Corbin were selected in the players' voting.
D-backs' outfielder Gerardo Parra, who was thought to get consideration for an All-Star spot, was not chosen or placed on the five-player MLB.com final vote ballot. Parra is batting .297 with seven homers and 26 RBI in 83 games this year.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.