Updated Jul 6, 2013 - 9:44 pm
D-backs' Goldschmidt, Corbin named to 2013 NL All-Star team
The Arizona Diamondbacks will have two representatives at the 84th Midsummer Classic on July 16 at Citi Field in New York.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt was selected as a reserve, earning his first All-Star selection. Goldschmidt is in the midst of a breakout season, in which he has hit .305 with 21 HRs and a league-high 73 RBIs.
Goldschmidt couldn't beat out Cincinnati Reds' first baseman Joey Votto for the start. The D-backs haven't had a position player start in an All-Star Game since Luis Gonzalez in 2001.
Left-hander Patrick Corbin will join the NL pitching staff in his first All-Star selection, after compiling a 9-1 record with a 2.49 ERA and 89 strikeouts in 115.2 IP this season.
Corbin ranks fifth in the NL in wins this season, but could have an even better record to show for his efforts. The 23-year-old has posted a 2.36 ERA in seven no-decisions for the D-backs this year. He has also pitched at least seven innings, giving up two runs or less, in six of those games.
Both Goldschmidt and Corbin were selected in the players' voting.
D-backs' outfielder Gerardo Parra, who was thought to get consideration for an All-Star spot, was not chosen or placed on the five-player MLB.com final vote ballot. Parra is batting .297 with seven homers and 26 RBI in 83 games this year.
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.