Updated Jul 8, 2013 - 7:14 pm
ESPN Insider: D-backs reliever Brad Ziegler among 10 under-the-radar 'All-Stars'
But while collectively the group has had its fair share of rough patches, the same can't be said for middle reliever Brad Ziegler in 2013.
Ziegler, who is tied for the league-lead with 46 appearances, is 4-1 with a 2.68 ERA and 1.09 WHIP. The 33-year-old has also allowed just seven of the 37 runners he's inherited to score.
Closers Jason Grilli (Pirates) and Craig Kimbrel (Braves) might be the lone National League bullpen arms making the trip to the Big Apple next week, but Ziegler's first-half hasn't completely gone ignored.
In an Insider piece Monday, ESPN.com's Buster Olney called the D-backs reliever one of baseball's 10 under-the-radar 'All-Stars.'
Arizona has had trouble figuring out what to do at the back end of the bullpen, but manager Kirk Gibson has one thing figured out: He can give the ball to Ziegler, who has appeared in 46 games, matching a major league high.
The right-hander has been used as more of a matchup guy this year, and averages less than an inning per outing, but he's fared OK against lefties, too, holding them to a .655 OPS, with no homers in 51 at-bats.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?