Updated Jul 8, 2013 - 7:14 pm
ESPN Insider: D-backs reliever Brad Ziegler among 10 under-the-radar 'All-Stars'
But while collectively the group has had its fair share of rough patches, the same can't be said for middle reliever Brad Ziegler in 2013.
Ziegler, who is tied for the league-lead with 46 appearances, is 4-1 with a 2.68 ERA and 1.09 WHIP. The 33-year-old has also allowed just seven of the 37 runners he's inherited to score.
Closers Jason Grilli (Pirates) and Craig Kimbrel (Braves) might be the lone National League bullpen arms making the trip to the Big Apple next week, but Ziegler's first-half hasn't completely gone ignored.
In an Insider piece Monday, ESPN.com's Buster Olney called the D-backs reliever one of baseball's 10 under-the-radar 'All-Stars.'
Arizona has had trouble figuring out what to do at the back end of the bullpen, but manager Kirk Gibson has one thing figured out: He can give the ball to Ziegler, who has appeared in 46 games, matching a major league high.
The right-hander has been used as more of a matchup guy this year, and averages less than an inning per outing, but he's fared OK against lefties, too, holding them to a .655 OPS, with no homers in 51 at-bats.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.