Updated Jul 8, 2013 - 7:14 pm
ESPN Insider: D-backs reliever Brad Ziegler among 10 under-the-radar 'All-Stars'
But while collectively the group has had its fair share of rough patches, the same can't be said for middle reliever Brad Ziegler in 2013.
Ziegler, who is tied for the league-lead with 46 appearances, is 4-1 with a 2.68 ERA and 1.09 WHIP. The 33-year-old has also allowed just seven of the 37 runners he's inherited to score.
Closers Jason Grilli (Pirates) and Craig Kimbrel (Braves) might be the lone National League bullpen arms making the trip to the Big Apple next week, but Ziegler's first-half hasn't completely gone ignored.
In an Insider piece Monday, ESPN.com's Buster Olney called the D-backs reliever one of baseball's 10 under-the-radar 'All-Stars.'
Arizona has had trouble figuring out what to do at the back end of the bullpen, but manager Kirk Gibson has one thing figured out: He can give the ball to Ziegler, who has appeared in 46 games, matching a major league high.
The right-hander has been used as more of a matchup guy this year, and averages less than an inning per outing, but he's fared OK against lefties, too, holding them to a .655 OPS, with no homers in 51 at-bats.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.