Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 4:32 pm
Adam Eaton to return, start for Arizona Diamondbacks Tuesday
That is going to change Tuesday.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson said the 24-year-old will be in the lineup when the team takes on the Los Angeles Dodgers.
"Adam Eaton's going to come back tonight; he's going to play tonight," Gibson said, adding he will be batting leadoff.
The manager also said that Eaton, who injured the UCL in his left elbow during spring training, was just about out of minor league rehab time so the decision was made to bring him to the big league club.
"We'll play him tonight then give him a day off," Gibson said, comparing the plan for Eaton with the one the team had for shortstop Didi Gregorius when he came back from injury.
Eaton, who hit .259 with two home runs and a pair of stolen bases in 22 games last season, was batting .390 in 20 spring games before being sidelined.
"It was very nice," Eaton said Tuesday of getting the call that he would be joining the team. "I felt good, I felt ready, I told them that.
"You want to take your time with it, you want to make sure you're right, and I think we took the adequate steps to get right."
To make room for Eaton, the D-backs optioned pitcher Charles Brewer to Triple-A Reno. He posted an ERA of 3.00 in four appearances with the team.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.