Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 4:32 pm
Adam Eaton to return, start for Arizona Diamondbacks Tuesday
That is going to change Tuesday.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson said the 24-year-old will be in the lineup when the team takes on the Los Angeles Dodgers.
"Adam Eaton's going to come back tonight; he's going to play tonight," Gibson said, adding he will be batting leadoff.
The manager also said that Eaton, who injured the UCL in his left elbow during spring training, was just about out of minor league rehab time so the decision was made to bring him to the big league club.
"We'll play him tonight then give him a day off," Gibson said, comparing the plan for Eaton with the one the team had for shortstop Didi Gregorius when he came back from injury.
Eaton, who hit .259 with two home runs and a pair of stolen bases in 22 games last season, was batting .390 in 20 spring games before being sidelined.
"It was very nice," Eaton said Tuesday of getting the call that he would be joining the team. "I felt good, I felt ready, I told them that.
"You want to take your time with it, you want to make sure you're right, and I think we took the adequate steps to get right."
To make room for Eaton, the D-backs optioned pitcher Charles Brewer to Triple-A Reno. He posted an ERA of 3.00 in four appearances with the team.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?