Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 2:43 pm
D-backs manager Gibson: No issue if Yasiel Puig is an All-Star
One of the best players in baseball since he arrived a little more than one month ago, the rookie is one of five N.L. players eligible for the game via fan vote.
"I think that the All-Star Game is picked a certain way and if he gets in that way, he deserves to be there," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "If he doesn't, he won't, and he'll have another opportunity next year."
Entering play Tuesday the 22-year-old is hitting .409 with eight home runs and 19 RBI. Spread out over the course of an entire season, those numbers would be record-setting. As they are, though, they are part of a small sample size that has some feeling the talented youngster does not deserve a spot at the Midsummer Classic.
Gibson does not see things that way.
"I'm not offended if he goes, I've heard some people like, 'Yeah, he hasn't earned it,'" Gibson said. "What does that offend us for?
"We want to win the game; National League wants to win the game."
As has been for the last decade, the winner of the game will have homefield advantage in the World Series. Since switching to that format in 2003, the A.L. has gone 7-3 -- with the N.L. currently boasting a three-game winning streak. Perhaps coincidentally, the N.L. has won the last three World Series, too.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.