Updated Jul 9, 2013 - 2:43 pm
D-backs manager Gibson: No issue if Yasiel Puig is an All-Star
One of the best players in baseball since he arrived a little more than one month ago, the rookie is one of five N.L. players eligible for the game via fan vote.
"I think that the All-Star Game is picked a certain way and if he gets in that way, he deserves to be there," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "If he doesn't, he won't, and he'll have another opportunity next year."
Entering play Tuesday the 22-year-old is hitting .409 with eight home runs and 19 RBI. Spread out over the course of an entire season, those numbers would be record-setting. As they are, though, they are part of a small sample size that has some feeling the talented youngster does not deserve a spot at the Midsummer Classic.
Gibson does not see things that way.
"I'm not offended if he goes, I've heard some people like, 'Yeah, he hasn't earned it,'" Gibson said. "What does that offend us for?
"We want to win the game; National League wants to win the game."
As has been for the last decade, the winner of the game will have homefield advantage in the World Series. Since switching to that format in 2003, the A.L. has gone 7-3 -- with the N.L. currently boasting a three-game winning streak. Perhaps coincidentally, the N.L. has won the last three World Series, too.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.