Updated Jul 10, 2013 - 3:54 pm
D-backs lack toughness
Yes, I'm giving free advice to the D-backs, not the Coyotes.
And no, Calvisi Consulting has not confused Kevin Towers with Don Maloney.
It's real simple: if the D-backs are going to fight the Dodgers down the stretch, they need to restore the fight.
Right now, the Dodgers are stealing the D-backs' milk money. If somebody doesn't step in, I'm about to dial 1-800-Call-Bud and report a bully.
See, here's what else is painfully obvious ever since Base-brawl: the Dodgers won that fight and stole the D-backs' swagger from this matchup.
Instead of Beat LA ...it's become Beatdown LA. And the D-backs are playing the role of Anderson Silva, flat on their collective back after too much talking/taunting and not enough striking/scoring.
Look at it this way: who's the toughest guy on the D-backs team? Alas, he just accepted an assignment to AAA Reno. Don't forget, during the melee, Eric Hinske locked horns with Yasiel Puig. Hinske put the 'back' into D-back because he had the backs of his teammates.
Who's that personal protector now? Who's that tough guy?
Honestly, the guy I'd least like to tangle with is the skipper.
Heck, until the brawl, we figured ain't nobody messin' with Gibby-ball. Uh, until Mark McGwire did just that and got right in Gibby's grill. Advantage Dodgers.
What the D-backs are currently missing against the Dodgers isn't something you can find in a box score or a sabermetrician's pocket protector. It's a willingness to compete...to the point of combat, if needed.
Against the Dodgers, it doesn't appear the D-backs still have that belief. They've been Puig'd...err, Punked.
It's time for Kevin Towers the GM to make a move to restore the roar.
Anybody got the number for Oggie Oglethorpe?
Paul Calvisi, Morning Sports Anchor - 92.3 KTAR/Arizona Sports 620
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.