Updated Jul 10, 2013 - 3:54 pm
D-backs lack toughness
Yes, I'm giving free advice to the D-backs, not the Coyotes.
And no, Calvisi Consulting has not confused Kevin Towers with Don Maloney.
It's real simple: if the D-backs are going to fight the Dodgers down the stretch, they need to restore the fight.
Right now, the Dodgers are stealing the D-backs' milk money. If somebody doesn't step in, I'm about to dial 1-800-Call-Bud and report a bully.
See, here's what else is painfully obvious ever since Base-brawl: the Dodgers won that fight and stole the D-backs' swagger from this matchup.
Instead of Beat LA ...it's become Beatdown LA. And the D-backs are playing the role of Anderson Silva, flat on their collective back after too much talking/taunting and not enough striking/scoring.
Look at it this way: who's the toughest guy on the D-backs team? Alas, he just accepted an assignment to AAA Reno. Don't forget, during the melee, Eric Hinske locked horns with Yasiel Puig. Hinske put the 'back' into D-back because he had the backs of his teammates.
Who's that personal protector now? Who's that tough guy?
Honestly, the guy I'd least like to tangle with is the skipper.
Heck, until the brawl, we figured ain't nobody messin' with Gibby-ball. Uh, until Mark McGwire did just that and got right in Gibby's grill. Advantage Dodgers.
What the D-backs are currently missing against the Dodgers isn't something you can find in a box score or a sabermetrician's pocket protector. It's a willingness to compete...to the point of combat, if needed.
Against the Dodgers, it doesn't appear the D-backs still have that belief. They've been Puig'd...err, Punked.
It's time for Kevin Towers the GM to make a move to restore the roar.
Anybody got the number for Oggie Oglethorpe?
Paul Calvisi, Morning Sports Anchor - 92.3 KTAR/Arizona Sports 620
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.