Milton Greene slides of Marilyn, others snag $1.8M
NEW YORK (AP) - Tens of thousands of negatives of Marilyn Monroe and other stars by celebrity photographer Milton Greene have sold at auction for $1.8 million.
The archive includes 3,700 negatives and slides of Marilyn Monroe. All the material was sold with copyright.
Profiles in History auction house says the highlights included a collection of color transparencies of the Hollywood siren with Laurence Olivier from the "The Prince and the Showgirl" movie. It sold for $42,000.
A group of transparencies of Monroe from the film "Bus Stop" fetched $39,000.
The seller is an American photography collector who purchased the archive 10 years ago. The items came from the Greene estate.
The buyers weren't identified.
Like his contemporaries Irving Penn and Richard Avedon, Greene is credited with elevating fashion photography to fine art.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.