Report: D-backs could be interested in Jake Peavy
The Arizona Diamondbacks, currently in first place by a game and a half over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League West, are one of the teams looking for pitching help for a second-half push.
Buster Olney, in an ESPN Insider piece, says the D-backs may have interest in Chicago White Sox veteran right-hander Jake Peavy.
Peavy has deep ties with the Arizona organization: General manager Kevin Towers was with the Padres when Peavy was drafted, developed and promoted, and Towers has always loved Peavy's competitiveness. There is a perception within the Arizona organization that the rotation could use a veteran stabilizer -- someone who can work with younger pitchers such as Ian Kennedy and Trevor Cahill -- and this is what Peavy has done for Chris Sale in Chicago.
Peavy has been shelved with a rib injury since early June, but has posted a 6-4 record with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts for the Sox this season. He's slated to make a rehab start Sunday.
The 32-year-old is in the first year of a two-year, $29 million contract he signed with Chicago last October.
As far as whom the D-backs could be dangling in a potential Peavy trade, Olney writes:
Whether it's coincidence or not, the White Sox scouts saw the Diamondbacks on a night earlier this week when Randall Delgado pitched. Arizona, like the (St. Luois) Cardinals, has some pitching depth, with Tyler Skaggs, Archie Bradley and others, and Delgado could be a trade chip.
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.