Report: D-backs could be interested in Jake Peavy
The Arizona Diamondbacks, currently in first place by a game and a half over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League West, are one of the teams looking for pitching help for a second-half push.
Buster Olney, in an ESPN Insider piece, says the D-backs may have interest in Chicago White Sox veteran right-hander Jake Peavy.
Peavy has deep ties with the Arizona organization: General manager Kevin Towers was with the Padres when Peavy was drafted, developed and promoted, and Towers has always loved Peavy's competitiveness. There is a perception within the Arizona organization that the rotation could use a veteran stabilizer -- someone who can work with younger pitchers such as Ian Kennedy and Trevor Cahill -- and this is what Peavy has done for Chris Sale in Chicago.
Peavy has been shelved with a rib injury since early June, but has posted a 6-4 record with a 4.30 ERA in 11 starts for the Sox this season. He's slated to make a rehab start Sunday.
The 32-year-old is in the first year of a two-year, $29 million contract he signed with Chicago last October.
As far as whom the D-backs could be dangling in a potential Peavy trade, Olney writes:
Whether it's coincidence or not, the White Sox scouts saw the Diamondbacks on a night earlier this week when Randall Delgado pitched. Arizona, like the (St. Luois) Cardinals, has some pitching depth, with Tyler Skaggs, Archie Bradley and others, and Delgado could be a trade chip.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.