Updated Jul 14, 2013 - 7:56 am
CBSSports.com columnist: Miguel Montero among baseball's 'Anti-All-Stars'
Two years later, the Arizona Diamondbacks catcher is a far cry from being a National League representative in the Midsummer Classic.
Through the first 93 games of 2013, Montero is hitting 50 points below his career average (.268) and has just six home runs and 31 RBI. Throw in the fact he's been the primary battery mate for a rotation with only one winning pitcher (Patrick Corbin) and a bullpen with an MLB-high 19 blown saves, and it's safe to say the 30-year-old hasn't performed at a very high level.
Montero's poor first half was highlighted Friday by CBSSports.com MLB columnist Scott Miller, who named the D-backs catcher to his Anti-All-Stars team with the likes of Ryan Howard, Dan Uggla, Alex Rodriguez, Josh Hamilton and B.J. Upton.
Barely a year into his five-year, $60 million deal, Montero has fallen as swiftly as Paula Deen into a vat of butter. His .318 slugging percentage is the worst in the majors among catchers with enough at-bats to qualify for the batting title. Snakebitten, indeed.
While his inclusion on Miller's team of disappointments isn't all that surprising, the Venezuelan's season-long slump is. In 2012, Montero set career-highs in games played (141), RBI (88), on-base percentage (.391) and on-base plus slugging percentage (.829).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.