Updated Jul 14, 2013 - 7:56 am
CBSSports.com columnist: Miguel Montero among baseball's 'Anti-All-Stars'
Two years later, the Arizona Diamondbacks catcher is a far cry from being a National League representative in the Midsummer Classic.
Through the first 93 games of 2013, Montero is hitting 50 points below his career average (.268) and has just six home runs and 31 RBI. Throw in the fact he's been the primary battery mate for a rotation with only one winning pitcher (Patrick Corbin) and a bullpen with an MLB-high 19 blown saves, and it's safe to say the 30-year-old hasn't performed at a very high level.
Montero's poor first half was highlighted Friday by CBSSports.com MLB columnist Scott Miller, who named the D-backs catcher to his Anti-All-Stars team with the likes of Ryan Howard, Dan Uggla, Alex Rodriguez, Josh Hamilton and B.J. Upton.
Barely a year into his five-year, $60 million deal, Montero has fallen as swiftly as Paula Deen into a vat of butter. His .318 slugging percentage is the worst in the majors among catchers with enough at-bats to qualify for the batting title. Snakebitten, indeed.
While his inclusion on Miller's team of disappointments isn't all that surprising, the Venezuelan's season-long slump is. In 2012, Montero set career-highs in games played (141), RBI (88), on-base percentage (.391) and on-base plus slugging percentage (.829).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.