Updated Jul 14, 2013 - 7:56 am
CBSSports.com columnist: Miguel Montero among baseball's 'Anti-All-Stars'
Two years later, the Arizona Diamondbacks catcher is a far cry from being a National League representative in the Midsummer Classic.
Through the first 93 games of 2013, Montero is hitting 50 points below his career average (.268) and has just six home runs and 31 RBI. Throw in the fact he's been the primary battery mate for a rotation with only one winning pitcher (Patrick Corbin) and a bullpen with an MLB-high 19 blown saves, and it's safe to say the 30-year-old hasn't performed at a very high level.
Montero's poor first half was highlighted Friday by CBSSports.com MLB columnist Scott Miller, who named the D-backs catcher to his Anti-All-Stars team with the likes of Ryan Howard, Dan Uggla, Alex Rodriguez, Josh Hamilton and B.J. Upton.
Barely a year into his five-year, $60 million deal, Montero has fallen as swiftly as Paula Deen into a vat of butter. His .318 slugging percentage is the worst in the majors among catchers with enough at-bats to qualify for the batting title. Snakebitten, indeed.
While his inclusion on Miller's team of disappointments isn't all that surprising, the Venezuelan's season-long slump is. In 2012, Montero set career-highs in games played (141), RBI (88), on-base percentage (.391) and on-base plus slugging percentage (.829).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.