Guru's convictions in sweat lodge case will stand
PHOENIX (AP) - A jury's decision to convict a self-help author in the deaths of three people following an Arizona sweat lodge ceremony will stand.
The state Court of Appeals has granted James Arthur Ray's request to drop his challenge of the case, and also dismissed a cross-appeal.
Ray says he wanted to avoid the possibility of a retrial and resentencing. He maintains that his convictions on three counts of negligent homicide were flawed, but the state Attorney General's Office disputed that.
Dozens of people participated in Ray's sweat lodge ceremony near Sedona in October 2009. The three who died were Kirby Brown of Westtown, N.Y.; James Shore of Milwaukee; and Liz Neuman of Prior Lake, Minn.
Ray remains in Arizona on community supervision. He'll be allowed to leave the state next month.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.