Paul Goldschmidt's pre-All-Star numbers comparable to D-backs greats
The first-time All-Star entered the break hitting .313 with a career-high 21 home runs and an NL-best 77 RBI.
The D-backs' slugger may lead the National League in RBI at the midway point of the season, but where does he rank among franchise greats?
The 25-year-old's pre-All-Star season certainly stacks up to many comparable years of D-backs' legends.
The only players to have more RBI at the break than Goldschmidt are Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams.
Gonzalez had 86 in 2001 while Williams had 82 RBI at the midway point of the 1999 season.
Goldschmidt's 21 home runs rank fifth among past D-backs players. Gonzalez's total of 35 home runs in 2001 is the most in D-backs history at the halfway mark.
Steve Finley's 25 home runs in 2000 rank second, followed by Jay Bell's 24 and Williams' 23 in 1999.
No D-back comes near Gonzalez's .360 batting average in 1999 or his .355 batting average in 2001, but Goldschmidt is one of 19 D-backs with over 250 at-bats to be hitting over .300 at the break.
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.