Paul Goldschmidt's pre-All-Star numbers comparable to D-backs greats
The first-time All-Star entered the break hitting .313 with a career-high 21 home runs and an NL-best 77 RBI.
The D-backs' slugger may lead the National League in RBI at the midway point of the season, but where does he rank among franchise greats?
The 25-year-old's pre-All-Star season certainly stacks up to many comparable years of D-backs' legends.
The only players to have more RBI at the break than Goldschmidt are Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams.
Gonzalez had 86 in 2001 while Williams had 82 RBI at the midway point of the 1999 season.
Goldschmidt's 21 home runs rank fifth among past D-backs players. Gonzalez's total of 35 home runs in 2001 is the most in D-backs history at the halfway mark.
Steve Finley's 25 home runs in 2000 rank second, followed by Jay Bell's 24 and Williams' 23 in 1999.
No D-back comes near Gonzalez's .360 batting average in 1999 or his .355 batting average in 2001, but Goldschmidt is one of 19 D-backs with over 250 at-bats to be hitting over .300 at the break.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.