Patrick Corbin's pre-All-Star season one of best in franchise history
Patrick Corbin, who appeared in his first All-Star Game Tuesday, had a first half that was comparable to all of them, thus putting his name in the conversation.
Corbin entered the All-Star break with an 11-1 record and also owns the third-best ERA (2.35) in the National League.
Johnson's 1.80 ERA in 2000 and Dan Haren's ERA of 2.01 are the only earned run averages better than Corbin's at the break.
Schilling never had an ERA under 3.00 at the break, while he was in a D-back uniform.
The 23-year-old Corbin has the least amount of losses out of any of the aforementioned pitchers and is one of three hurlers (Johnson, Schilling, Webb) to put up double-digit wins in the first half.
To compare Corbin's strikeout total with the likes of the Big Unit and Schilling would be silly, but his 109 punch-outs is in the same ballpark as Haren and Webb.
Webb's strikeout total was between 103 and 112 from 06-08 and Haren topped out at 129 punch-outs in 2009.
The season most comparable to Corbin's first half would be Johnson's 2002 first half when he posted a 12-3 record with a 2.47 ERA.
Johnson went on to win 12 more games in the second half and won the 2002 NL Cy Young Award. Corbin has a chance to do the same.
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.