Patrick Corbin's pre-All-Star season one of best in franchise history
Patrick Corbin, who appeared in his first All-Star Game Tuesday, had a first half that was comparable to all of them, thus putting his name in the conversation.
Corbin entered the All-Star break with an 11-1 record and also owns the third-best ERA (2.35) in the National League.
Johnson's 1.80 ERA in 2000 and Dan Haren's ERA of 2.01 are the only earned run averages better than Corbin's at the break.
Schilling never had an ERA under 3.00 at the break, while he was in a D-back uniform.
The 23-year-old Corbin has the least amount of losses out of any of the aforementioned pitchers and is one of three hurlers (Johnson, Schilling, Webb) to put up double-digit wins in the first half.
To compare Corbin's strikeout total with the likes of the Big Unit and Schilling would be silly, but his 109 punch-outs is in the same ballpark as Haren and Webb.
Webb's strikeout total was between 103 and 112 from 06-08 and Haren topped out at 129 punch-outs in 2009.
The season most comparable to Corbin's first half would be Johnson's 2002 first half when he posted a 12-3 record with a 2.47 ERA.
Johnson went on to win 12 more games in the second half and won the 2002 NL Cy Young Award. Corbin has a chance to do the same.
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.