D-backs' Patrick Corbin suffers loss in first All-Star appearance
First-time All-Star and New York native Patrick Corbin got to fulfill a lifelong dream when he took the mound in Tuesday's All-Star Game.
Unfortunately for Corbin, his All-Star experience didn't end the way he anticipated.
Corbin, who went 11-1 with a 2.35 ERA in the season's first half for Arizona, entered a scoreless game in the fourth inning for the National League.
The D-backs' southpaw allowed a leadoff double to Tigers' superstar Miguel Cabrera, followed by a single to Orioles' first baseman Chris Davis. The 22-year-old was able to minimize the damage by getting Blue Jays' right-fielder Jose Bautista to fly out and Red Sox's DH David Ortiz to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Bautista's sacrifice fly netted the game's first run.
Corbin allowed one run on two hits with no strikeouts or walks in his only inning of work.
The National League couldn't muster any offense to bail Corbin out, as the American League went on to win 3-0, handing the D-backs' hurler the hard-luck loss.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.