D-backs' Patrick Corbin suffers loss in first All-Star appearance
First-time All-Star and New York native Patrick Corbin got to fulfill a lifelong dream when he took the mound in Tuesday's All-Star Game.
Unfortunately for Corbin, his All-Star experience didn't end the way he anticipated.
Corbin, who went 11-1 with a 2.35 ERA in the season's first half for Arizona, entered a scoreless game in the fourth inning for the National League.
The D-backs' southpaw allowed a leadoff double to Tigers' superstar Miguel Cabrera, followed by a single to Orioles' first baseman Chris Davis. The 22-year-old was able to minimize the damage by getting Blue Jays' right-fielder Jose Bautista to fly out and Red Sox's DH David Ortiz to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Bautista's sacrifice fly netted the game's first run.
Corbin allowed one run on two hits with no strikeouts or walks in his only inning of work.
The National League couldn't muster any offense to bail Corbin out, as the American League went on to win 3-0, handing the D-backs' hurler the hard-luck loss.
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?