Officer shot in marathon showdown condemns cover
BOSTON (AP) - The transit police officer who was shot during a showdown with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects says he hopes the Rolling Stone cover story on Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR' tsahr-NEYE'-ehv) doesn't glorify him in readers' eyes.
Officer Richard Donohue told NBC's "Today" show Thursday that he was surprised at the cover of the magazine's Aug. 1 edition. The close-up of Tsarnaev looks more like one of the rock stars that usually grace the magazine's cover.
Donohue criticized Rolling Stone's cover choice. In his words: "They could've picked anybody else. There's a number of people they could have picked for an arts and entertainment magazine than an alleged bomber."
Rolling Stone editors said in a statement that the story falls within the traditions of journalism and the magazine's commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.