Officer shot in marathon showdown condemns cover
BOSTON (AP) - The transit police officer who was shot during a showdown with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects says he hopes the Rolling Stone cover story on Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR' tsahr-NEYE'-ehv) doesn't glorify him in readers' eyes.
Officer Richard Donohue told NBC's "Today" show Thursday that he was surprised at the cover of the magazine's Aug. 1 edition. The close-up of Tsarnaev looks more like one of the rock stars that usually grace the magazine's cover.
Donohue criticized Rolling Stone's cover choice. In his words: "They could've picked anybody else. There's a number of people they could have picked for an arts and entertainment magazine than an alleged bomber."
Rolling Stone editors said in a statement that the story falls within the traditions of journalism and the magazine's commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.