ESPN's Law: D-backs' Archie Bradley baseball's top pitching prospect
Already arguably the top pitching prospect in the Arizona Diamondbacks' farm system, the 20-year-old tossed a clean inning in MLB's Futures Game over the weekend and, with a 2.37 ERA with 72 strikeouts in 76.0 Double-A innings, some are wondering if he'll soon don a D-backs uniform.
That is a question for another day.
For now, take solace in the fact that the D-backs have one of the game's better pitching prospects. And, according to ESPN MLB analyst Keith Law in an Insider piece, he's the best pitching prospect. Period.
His command has improved over last year, as well as the control, while he's still in the 93-98 mph range with his heater.
His curveball has been a little less consistent this year, still hard at 79-83 but not quite as sharp as last year, while the changeup continues to improve and should be no worse than a solid-average pitch. The curve is still a swing-and-miss pitch for him, and with the huge fastball and his No. 1 starter build, he's the minors' best pitching prospect.
Selected by the Diamondbacks with the seventh pick in the 2011 MLB First Year Player Draft, Bradley has compiled a 20-10 record with a 3.04 ERA in 242.2 Minor League innings. The right-hander went into the season as a top prospect, and he's done nothing to disappoint.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.