Updated Jul 19, 2013 - 5:22 pm
Paul Goldschmidt's production to drop off in second half?
However, CBS Sports writer Michael Hurcomb says Goldschmidt's numbers have nowhere to go but down for the second half of the season.
It can't be overlooked that Goldschmidt's numbers in his young MLB career have been much better in the first half than second half.
Hurcomb points out that the third-year player has hit .308 with a slugging percentage of .555 and an OPS (on-base + slugging percentage) of .939 in 168 first-half games. That is in contrast to his second-half numbers of a .263 batting average, .447 slugging percentage and .792 OPS in 119 games. (He actually began his career in the second half of the 2011 season.)
The 2012 season was Goldschmidt's first full year in the Majors, and his performance in the second half was disproportionate to what he did in the first.
Goldschmidt came back in 2012 to hit .271 in the second half, but he hit just eight home runs and slugged .431 in 71 games.
While the past two seasons are too small of a sample size to write off Goldschmidt's second-half production for the rest of his career, now is as good of a time as any for him to start shedding the perception that he is more than a pre-All-Star break standout.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.