Fans get their geek on at Comic-Con's Masquerade
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Imagine Marvel's comic book heroes recast as Bollywood characters, a whiny Skeletor teaming up with Loki in attempt to get back at those jerks He-Man and Thor, and "Star Wars" reimagined as a musical complete with a chorus line of Jawa showgirls.
Cosplay enthusiasts gathered Saturday night at Comic-Con to get their geek on, participating in the annual Masquerade meant to celebrate creativity, imagination and costume makings skills of all levels.
Fans, scores in their own multi-colored multiverse of costumes, began lining up hours early for one of the pop-culture celebration's most-anticipated events. They were rewarded with a little bit of everything from the comic book, film, anime and video game worlds.
Some of the 38 contest entries aimed for authenticity, faithfully recreating Batman and Wonder Woman, others for camp. Fans responded to both, laughing and cheering along with a group that morphed the Yugioh card game into a contest between members of the DC and Marvel comic book catalogs, but also applauding imaginative creations with moving parts like "Bat Wolf" and "Knights of Saggitarius" and "Scourge."
Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott: http://twitter.com/Chris_Talbott.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.