Fans get their geek on at Comic-Con's Masquerade
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Imagine Marvel's comic book heroes recast as Bollywood characters, a whiny Skeletor teaming up with Loki in attempt to get back at those jerks He-Man and Thor, and "Star Wars" reimagined as a musical complete with a chorus line of Jawa showgirls.
Cosplay enthusiasts gathered Saturday night at Comic-Con to get their geek on, participating in the annual Masquerade meant to celebrate creativity, imagination and costume makings skills of all levels.
Fans, scores in their own multi-colored multiverse of costumes, began lining up hours early for one of the pop-culture celebration's most-anticipated events. They were rewarded with a little bit of everything from the comic book, film, anime and video game worlds.
Some of the 38 contest entries aimed for authenticity, faithfully recreating Batman and Wonder Woman, others for camp. Fans responded to both, laughing and cheering along with a group that morphed the Yugioh card game into a contest between members of the DC and Marvel comic book catalogs, but also applauding imaginative creations with moving parts like "Bat Wolf" and "Knights of Saggitarius" and "Scourge."
Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott: http://twitter.com/Chris_Talbott.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.