Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 1:31 pm
It's a boy! Kate Middleton has given birth
The birth announcement, via a press release from Kensington Palace, said the boy was born at 4:24 p.m. weighing 8 pounds 6 ounces.
"Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well and will remain in hospital overnight," it said. "Members of both families have been informed and are delighted with the news."
According to People, Queen Elizabeth II, Prime Minister David Cameron and Middleton's parents were among the first to be told the news.
The announcement was later confirmed by the Clarence House on Twitter.
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 4.24pm— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) July 22, 2013
Buckingham Palace made the announcement in the form of a wooden easel placed outside the palace walls.
It's a time-honored royal tradition -- the birth of William's father, Prince Charles, was announced the same way in 1948. This time, however, officials have adapted to modern times by adding a simultaneous announcement on Twitter, so that millions around the world can get the news within seconds.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.