Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 1:31 pm
It's a boy! Kate Middleton has given birth
The birth announcement, via a press release from Kensington Palace, said the boy was born at 4:24 p.m. weighing 8 pounds 6 ounces.
"Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well and will remain in hospital overnight," it said. "Members of both families have been informed and are delighted with the news."
According to People, Queen Elizabeth II, Prime Minister David Cameron and Middleton's parents were among the first to be told the news.
The announcement was later confirmed by the Clarence House on Twitter.
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 4.24pm— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) July 22, 2013
Buckingham Palace made the announcement in the form of a wooden easel placed outside the palace walls.
It's a time-honored royal tradition -- the birth of William's father, Prince Charles, was announced the same way in 1948. This time, however, officials have adapted to modern times by adding a simultaneous announcement on Twitter, so that millions around the world can get the news within seconds.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.