Brandon McCarthy continues rehab stint in Reno
The pitcher that's closest to returning is Brandon McCarthy. He went on the disabled list on June 1st, retroactive to May 31st with right shoulder inflammation, an issue that's plagued him in seasons past.
The right-hander is just now testing his arm in real game situations with a couple rehab starts with Triple-A Reno, the first of which came Sunday night. McCarthy lasted 4.1 innings, allowed six runs on nine hits with two walks and one strikeout.
"I think he ran out of gas last night. That's kind of what I took out of it," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "He threw the ball decently, (got to the) fifth inning and just kind of lost it. His arm got tired and his legs got tired.
"I haven't talked to him, but just looking at it, he didn't finish very strong. But that's why he's down there, to build up strength and endurance."
McCarthy, 30, was 2-4 with a 5.00 ERA in 11 starts for the D-backs before going on the disabled list. The original plan was for McCarthy to have two starts with Reno and get up to 90 or 95 pitches in each outing.
On Sunday, he threw just 71 total pitches, 44 of those being strikes.
McCarthy was spotted on Monday in the D-backs' clubhouse, but said he's just in Arizona in between starts. He's supposed to head back to Reno when his turn in that squad's rotation comes up.
Gibson reiterated that plan during his media session Monday before the D-backs took on the Chicago Cubs.
"Well, we know he's gonna do one more for sure," the skipper said.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.