Brandon McCarthy continues rehab stint in Reno
The pitcher that's closest to returning is Brandon McCarthy. He went on the disabled list on June 1st, retroactive to May 31st with right shoulder inflammation, an issue that's plagued him in seasons past.
The right-hander is just now testing his arm in real game situations with a couple rehab starts with Triple-A Reno, the first of which came Sunday night. McCarthy lasted 4.1 innings, allowed six runs on nine hits with two walks and one strikeout.
"I think he ran out of gas last night. That's kind of what I took out of it," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "He threw the ball decently, (got to the) fifth inning and just kind of lost it. His arm got tired and his legs got tired.
"I haven't talked to him, but just looking at it, he didn't finish very strong. But that's why he's down there, to build up strength and endurance."
McCarthy, 30, was 2-4 with a 5.00 ERA in 11 starts for the D-backs before going on the disabled list. The original plan was for McCarthy to have two starts with Reno and get up to 90 or 95 pitches in each outing.
On Sunday, he threw just 71 total pitches, 44 of those being strikes.
McCarthy was spotted on Monday in the D-backs' clubhouse, but said he's just in Arizona in between starts. He's supposed to head back to Reno when his turn in that squad's rotation comes up.
Gibson reiterated that plan during his media session Monday before the D-backs took on the Chicago Cubs.
"Well, we know he's gonna do one more for sure," the skipper said.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?