Brandon McCarthy continues rehab stint in Reno
The pitcher that's closest to returning is Brandon McCarthy. He went on the disabled list on June 1st, retroactive to May 31st with right shoulder inflammation, an issue that's plagued him in seasons past.
The right-hander is just now testing his arm in real game situations with a couple rehab starts with Triple-A Reno, the first of which came Sunday night. McCarthy lasted 4.1 innings, allowed six runs on nine hits with two walks and one strikeout.
"I think he ran out of gas last night. That's kind of what I took out of it," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "He threw the ball decently, (got to the) fifth inning and just kind of lost it. His arm got tired and his legs got tired.
"I haven't talked to him, but just looking at it, he didn't finish very strong. But that's why he's down there, to build up strength and endurance."
McCarthy, 30, was 2-4 with a 5.00 ERA in 11 starts for the D-backs before going on the disabled list. The original plan was for McCarthy to have two starts with Reno and get up to 90 or 95 pitches in each outing.
On Sunday, he threw just 71 total pitches, 44 of those being strikes.
McCarthy was spotted on Monday in the D-backs' clubhouse, but said he's just in Arizona in between starts. He's supposed to head back to Reno when his turn in that squad's rotation comes up.
Gibson reiterated that plan during his media session Monday before the D-backs took on the Chicago Cubs.
"Well, we know he's gonna do one more for sure," the skipper said.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.